Friday, December 02, 2005

An Impending Travel Adventure and a book review.

I have been at work less than a half-hour and I already have 23 pages open in Firefox. To say that my job is boring would be a bit of an understatement. Hence, I am quitting and moving to Spain. I bought my ticket last week for the 18th January 18th for Madrid. I was going to give my two week's notice today, but I've decided to wait a week because I could use the money.
I'm considering starting another blog devoted specifically to the trip, but I'm SOOO lazy. I need a name, etc. I'll see what happens. Suggestions are welcome.
In preparation for the trip, I'm reading several travel books in hopes of both inspiration and disillusionment. I'm going to write about them to satiate my desire to spew as many words as possible, but I hope that other people may find this useful, too.
Vagabonding, by Rolf Potts is an introduction to a philosophy of travel called, of course, "vagabonding." What is vagabonding? On his site vagabonding.net, Potts says the book (and corresponding philosophy) "is about taking time off from your normal life — from six weeks, to four months, to two years — to discover and experience the world on your own terms." He communicates this idea largely through anecdotes, drawing on his extensive travel experiences. This is his first book, but he has written award-winning travel articles for a number of magazines and sites such as Salon.com, National Geographic Traveler, and Conde Nast Traveler.
The book is organized into four main sections: Declare Your Independence, Getting Started, On the Road, and In the Long Run. They are subdivided into chapters that each cover a topic of travel, all aimed at helping the reader understand and embrace the ideas behind Potts' philosophy of travel. Each chapter has a brief introduction, some anecdotes and advice, followed by a "tip sheet" that is a list of books and web pages with more information on the topic. All of these resources are kept up to date on Potts' site at www.vagabonding.net. It's a nice site, with his blog, a Q&A section, links, etc.
The stories are inspiring and often humorous. Everything is short and to the point, which makes for a quick read. I also agree with his philosophy of travel, since it's similar to what I wanted to do before I started any travel reading. The book is simple, practical, and concise. I would recommend it to anyone about to travel, but I don't know if I would buy it. My main problem is that it's light on detailed practical advice. His list of resources makes up for it, but as that is available online, I don't feel like I need to own a copy of the book. It's a good starting point for information and good inspiration to get off your ass and travel.
Ugh... I haven't eaten a damned thing this morning and I'm feeling loopy. I will perhaps write more after lunch when my brain will hopefully be working.

No comments: